Records Room Procedures

What's Required


Subpart A—General

§99.1   To which educational agencies or institutions do these regulations apply?
§99.2   What is the purpose of these regulations?
§99.3   What definitions apply to these regulations?
§99.4   What are the rights of parents?
§99.5   What are the rights of students?
§99.6   [Reserved]
§99.7   What must an educational agency or institution include in its annual notification?
§99.8   What provisions apply to records of a law enforcement unit?

Subpart B—What Are the Rights of Inspection and Review of Education Records?

§99.10   What rights exist for a parent or eligible student to inspect and review education records?
§99.11   May an educational agency or institution charge a fee for copies of education records?
§99.12   What limitations exist on the right to inspect and review records?

Subpart C—What Are the Procedures for Amending Education Records?

§99.20   How can a parent or eligible student request amendment of the student's education records?
§99.21   Under what conditions does a parent or eligible student have the right to a hearing?
§99.22   What minimum requirements exist for the conduct of a hearing?

Subpart D—May an Educational Agency or Institution Disclose Personally Identifiable Information From Education Records?

§99.30   Under what conditions is prior consent required to disclose information?
§99.31   Under what conditions is prior consent not required to disclose information?
§99.32   What recordkeeping requirements exist concerning requests and disclosures?
§99.33   What limitations apply to the redisclosure of information?
§99.34   What conditions apply to disclosure of information to other educational agencies or institutions?
§99.35   What conditions apply to disclosure of information for Federal or State program purposes?
§99.36   What conditions apply to disclosure of information in health and safety emergencies?
§99.37   What conditions apply to disclosing directory information?
§99.38   What conditions apply to disclosure of information as permitted by State statute adopted after November 19, 1974, concerning the juvenile justice system?
§99.39   What definitions apply to the nonconsensual disclosure of records by postsecondary educational institutions in connection with disciplinary proceedings concerning crimes of violence or non-forcible sex offenses?

Subpart E—What Are the Enforcement Procedures?

§99.60   What functions has the Secretary delegated to the Office and to the Office of Administrative Law Judges?
§99.61   What responsibility does an educational agency or institution, a recipient of Department funds, or a third party outside of an educational agency or institution have concerning conflict with State or local laws?
§99.62   What information must an educational agency or institution or other recipient of Department funds submit to the Office?
§99.63   Where are complaints filed?
§99.64   What is the investigation procedure?
§99.65   What is the content of the notice of investigation issued by the Office?
§99.66   What are the responsibilities of the Office in the enforcement process?
§99.67   How does the Secretary enforce decisions?
Appendix A to Part 99—Crimes of Violence Definitions 

What We Do


Making File Folders: 

  • The clerk should open the File Label document on her desktop, and then lock caps on her keyboard.
  • Once in the program the clerk types the child’s last name comma first name, hits enter, types DOB: and puts the actual DOB, hits enter again, and types the student’s ID number (just number though). 
  • Highlight this information, right click, copy, hit enter twice, right click, paste the information to the bottom section of the label so that the information is seen from both sides of the folder when looking at them on the shelves. 
  • Once all labels are made get empty folders, remove old labels and place new labels on the folders. 
  • All documents will be filed in these folders. 


Opening Folders on J Drive: 

  • Many types of documents are scanned and digitally stored in the J drive.
  • To access the J drive click on J drive icon, then click on Admin, then click on SSD, then click on @ Student Records, and then click on Special Services. 
  • This opens the lists that the clerk will need to use to store the student’s information.
  • The folders within the group are Social Security, Admissions, Dismissed, DNQ, Transfers, Unregistered Students, and Withdrawn Students.
  • Some of these lists are password protected.  In order to open the protected folders you have to type the password.  The passwords for all protected folders are the same as the title of the group…  Admissions – admissions, Dismissed – dismissal, DNQ – DNQ, Transfers – transfers, and Withdrawn – withdrawn.  For the other folders the clerk just clicks on the list they want and they open. 
  • J drive has some files that are accessible to the district.  To get to this part of J drive you need to click on the SSD ALL button instead of the SSD button.  This will open the forms and paperwork that is used by the district. 
  • You will need to get access to the SSD part of the J drive from the SpEd Technology Coordinator.


Social Security (SSI) Requests: 

  • Open all requests letters from Social Security.
  • Open the SSI list on J drive.  See if the student already has had a request.  If no request has been fulfilled then send documents.  If a request has been filled BUT new esped documents exist (ex. FIE, IEP) then fulfill the request again. If no updates since last request then send letter. Keep only one request per student
  • If one request has been fulfilled pulp all other requests.
  • Check eSchool to see if the student is a SpEd student. 
  • If a student is not SpEd prepare a letter to go with the request that indicates the student is not SpEd.   You will need to check the appropriate box on the letter (double click it). 
  • If student is SpEd student, locate the student’s records. 
  • You will pull the last annual ARD and any reviews since the annual as well as all evaluations with supporting documents.  You will scan each request separately with the SSI request being on the top followed by either the letter or the records. 
  • They will be scanned on your G drive into a SSI folder.  After scanning all requests, save them as a compressed (zipped) file.  Go into the folder and delete the thumbs file. 
  • Get out of G drive and go online.  Open Social Security webpage.  Sign in.  Enter all needed information and submit the data.  
  • After records have been submitted to SSI, print an eSped cover page and upload the file
  • Add the students’ names to the SSI file list on the J drive. 
  • The requests that have a letter that shows the child is not SpEd should be stapled together with the SSI Request form and stored in the SSI binder which is kept over Felicia’s desk. At the end of the year this binder contents should be pulped.
  • When you are through scanning Social Security requests remember to put all paperwork back into the student’s folder.  The SSI request form should be scanned into eSped. Be sure you have put the date of fulfillment of this request on the actual SSI Request form. This documents that you have electronically exchanged these records with the SSI administration on that day.



  • Pull Admissions/Initial ARD documents from the basket on the shelf. 
  • Check e-school to see if the student has registered/enrolled in the district and is currently being served. If the student has actually enrolled they will have a district student ID number and a location where they are being served.
  • When all the ARD documents from the basket have been reviewed you will have determined which students have enrolled and which have not enrolled.
  • Put the ARD documents for the students who have not yet enrolled on shelf over Felicia’s desk following the procedure outline in Unregistered/Unenrolled Students which is below this section. 
  • You will make folders for the students who have enrolled.
  • Then, open the Admissions List, scroll to the bottom line, and enter information to document the receipt of the new student records. 
  • Make a folder for the student’s records and file folder on shelf. 


Unregistered/Unenrolled Students: 

  • Any student that has an initial ARD and/or FIE and does not register will be taken care of at the end of the school year in which the paperwork was done. 
  • Put the documents in a manila folder and place them on the shelf above Felicia’s desk until the end of the school year.
  • Clerks will check periodically to see if the student ever enrolled.
  • At the end of the school year, if the student did not enroll, clerks will ensure that all paperwork is in esped. 



  • The PEIMS clerk will place the Dismissal/DNQ ARDs in the box in the Compliance Coordinators office.
  • The Compliance Coordinator will work cooperatively with the Records Clerk staff to ensure that all documents have been uploaded into eSped.


  • Pull the eSped Transfer Meeting paperwork from the basket on the shelf.  
  • If any transfer does not have the records from the previous district, request that the campus diag/facilitator/SLP send a copy to you.
  • Make folder, put the documents in the folder, and file folder on shelf. 
  • Any documents not in eSped, scan documents into the student's eSped file.


Incoming Records: 

  • A copy of SpEd records from previous districts for transfer students should be kept in the child’s state folder and in the diag/facilitator/speech therapist’s folders on campus. 
  •  If a folder has already been made for the student, file the received documents in this folder.
  • Any documents not in eSped, scan documents into the student's eSped file.


Records Requests: 

  • Campus registrars will be responding to TREx requests from other districts. The registrar will inform the SpEd records room clerks by email of the need for the SpEd records to be sent to the TREx site.  
  • Records room clerks will pull the folders from the shelves and scan the needed documents to their own email address.
  • Then the records room clerk will open the email and scanned documents and save them to the J drive in the TREx folder for the appropriate year.
  • The clerk will need to rename the scanned document with the student’s name.
  • Then the clerk will forward the student’s scanned documents to the campus registrar that originally requested the records.
  • The campus registrar will be responsible for sending the SpEd records to the TREx site along with all other records for the student.   
  • If the requesting district has eSped, the Technology Clerk will be responsible for transferring those records to the forwarding district.


Records Requests From Parents or Adult Students:

  •  Parents or adult students may call or write to request their records. If the parent is requesting records the clerk must verify that student is still a minor. If the student is an adult the parent must show proof that they have guardianship of the student. If the parent does not have guardianship the adult student must request the records himself/herself.  Parent/guardianship must be verified in eschool.
  •  The clerk completes the Direct Release of Records form for the parent/adult student. This form is located on the clerk’s desktop. She prints two copies of this form.
  •  Then the clerk makes a copy of the records that were requested.
  • The records are put in a manila envelope along with a copy of the Procedural Safeguard and one of the copies of the Direct Release of Records forms. The envelope is then sealed.
  •  When the parent/adult student arrives to pick up the documents the clerk has the parent/adult student sign the Direct Release of Records form as well as a copy of the Receipt for Procedural Safeguards.
  • At this time they must show personal ID (such as a drivers license) to show they are who they say they are. Additionally, if the parent has guardianship they must show documentation of this.
  • The documents are then given to the parent/adult student.
  •  The clerk then takes the signed copy of the Direct Release form and the signed copy of the Receipt for Procedural Safeguards and files these documents in the student’s folder or scans them with the student’s scanned documents for verification that the parent received records from the district.  
  • Parents or adult students are allotted one copy of the documents at no cost to them. If they request additional sets of records at a later date the cost to the family is 15 cents per page for any additional copies that are be requested.


  • Requests for records for withdrawn students may be received by fax, email, phone call, or letter.
  • These requests are often from out-of-state districts or facilities.
  • These requests may be fulfilled through email or snail mail only. Sp Ed records cannot be faxed except in extreme circumstances and only with an administrator’s approval.
  • If requests are received with no email address provided these must be snail mailed to the requesting facility.
  • As students withdraw and records are requested, the clerk will need to locate folders and/or scanned files.  The folders should be on the shelf. Any scanned records will on the J, E, or the F drive. The clerk should check all locations.
  •  If student left district more than 3 months prior to the request for records the files could be scanned on one of the above stated drives.
  • When fulfilling requests for records, the clerk needs to make a copy of the last annual ARD with any reviews since the annual as well as all evaluations with their supporting documents.  
  • The copies of the records will be snail mailed or emailed to the receiving district. 
  • If the clerk is mailing records, she will put the records in a white envelope. A label should be made and placed on the front of the envelope in the label box.
  • On this label, you should lock caps, type the facility name, the P. O. Box if available or the street address if not, the city, state, and zip. 
  • At that point hit enter 2-3 times and go to the bottom of the label. 
  • This is where you should type ATTN: and put the name of the person who requested the records. 
  • The mail should be taken downstairs to the mail room daily.


Districts Calling for Information on Students: 

  • When a district calls in for information you should verify who the person is and what school, facility or district they are calling from and which student they are investigating. 
  • Look the student’s information up in eSchool. 
  • Verify that the student is a Sp Ed student
  • Scroll to the bottom of the student’s summary page to the Programs section.  If the student was ever Sp Ed the Sp Ed folder will be present in this section.
  • Click on Sp Ed folder.  This will give you the student’s primary special education information which can be verbally shared with the requesting district staff member.
  • Once they get that information the requesting staff will often ask how to get the actual Sp Ed paper records.
  • They need to be directed to request all Sp Ed documents through TREx from the most recent campus’s registrar. If you know which campus that is give the requesting staff members their contact information.


Filing ARDs, Reports, etc.: 

  • The PEIMS clerks will place all ARD and FIE documents in to the correct baskets in the records room.  
  • All ARD, FIE and other paperwork should be alphabetized by last name, be punched with two holes at top of page, and filed in the state folder using the folder organization sheet. 


Filing Deaf Co-Op: 

  • All records received for Deaf Co-Op should be alphabetized by last name, punched with two holes, and placed in the student’s folder in dated order with the most recent paperwork being on top. 
  • The Deaf Co-Op files are kept in the black file cabinet by the door.



  • Records are scanned when you fulfill Social Security requests; when students are dismissed from Sp Ed; when the student does not qualify (DNQ) for services; when they graduate; or when they leave the district.    
  • When you are through scanning Social Security requests remember to put all paperwork back into the student’s folder.  The SSI request form also needs to be stored in the student’s state folder in the appropriate section. Refer to the SSI scanning section of these procedures for further directions on SSI requests.
  • All paperwork for withdrawn, dismissed or graduated students will be scanned, put in a white box and sent to Kuykendahl for storage. 
  • Begin scanning by clicking on the Capture Perfect Icon on your desktop. 
  • Once open, click Scan. 
  • Next click Scan Batch to File. This will open a box on your screen. 
  • At the top of the box is a Save In: box.  Make sure you are saving what you are scanning in the correct folder.  Social Security and TREx are both scanned as a PDF into their own folder saved on your G drive. 
  • All others are scanned onto the J drive in the withdrawn folder for the year of exit.  They are scanned as a .tiff file. 


Boxing Records: 

  • Records for student that have graduated or withdrawn from the district are scanned and then are boxed and sent to the Kuykeendahl location for long term storage.
  • When boxing the records be sure that you list the name of the student, his birth date and the date of  his/her withdrawal or graduation from the district on a list. This list is put inside the box before it is sealed and taped to the outside of the box for ease of locating the records later.
  • The boxes are stored behind the door while they wait to be picked up by School Dude.
  • The clerk will follow the School Dude process for contacting staff to come and pick up the boxes.


  • Requests will be received from Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services.  These are received from the Transition Team by hand delivery.
  • The clerk will pull the student’s folders and copy the most recent ARD, and all evaluations and the request form itself.
  • Documents need to be organized in the following manner: Request form on top with the date of fulfillment noted, then the ARD, and then all evaluation documents. 
  • These are put in a manila envelope and delivered to the Transition Coordinator.
  • If more than one student’s records are included in the manila envelope, be sure to separate each student’s documents with a colored sheet of paper.
  • Upon completion of this task the clerk will note the fulfillment date on the top left corner of the original request form.
  • Place original request in appropriate section of the student’s folder with the date of the fulfillment noted on it.
  •  Be sure to appropriately re-file all of the student’s ARD and FIE documents as well.



Audit of State Folders: 

  • This should be done every 3 months (see the mini audit schedule at the end of this document). 
  • Get a copy of the latest PEIMS report spreadsheet from the SEMS clerk. 
  • Go through the list alphabetically and check to see if there is an active folder for all active Sp Ed students on the PEIMS report spreadsheet.
  • Document any students who are on the PEIMS report spreadsheet as active but do not have a folder.
  • Investigate to see why they do not have a folder and try to remedy the situation.
  • Some may have a transfer that has not been turned in and some may be admissions not yet turned in. 
  • If you need to, contact the diags/facilitators and speech therapists to acquire the transfer or admission documents.
  • Pull the folders of students that are no longer active and place them on the cart until they can be researched as truly withdrawn and then scanned.
  • Review each folder to ensure that the most recent ARD and FIE are present in the folder as per the latest PEIMS report.
  • Clearly document what is missing from the folder and the date of the most recent annual ARD or FIE that is in the folder if it does not match what the PEIMS spreadsheet says should be there.
  • When all folders have been reviewed give a copy of the updated PEIMS report spreadsheet with your notes on it back to the PEIMS clerk.
  • The PEIMS clerk will make a new spreadsheet with just missing documents on it.
  • Give a copy of this spreadsheet to the District Compliance Coordinator for Sp Ed. She will contact staff members to attempt to acquire the missing documents or get clarification as to the discrepancy between the PEIMS spreadsheet and what is actually in the file. Acquired documents and explanations for discrepancies will be documented on the spreadsheet.
  • Acquired documents need to be filed in the state folders.



  • After summer school, a complete list of graduating seniors should be received from the high school campus diag/facilitator/SLP staff.
  • A list of seniors that should be returning next year will also be generated by the high school campus diags/facilitators. This will be given to the Diagnostician Coordinator at the diag/facilitator Check-Out in May and provided to the Record’s Room clerk.
  • The records room clerks will save this list for their August activities.
  •  In August, records room clerks will pull senior folders for those graduating students that will not be returning. The clerks will follow the procedure for scanning and documenting that these students have left the district.
  • Folders for student suspected of returning in the fall will be excluded from being pulled off the shelves.
  • The originals of the documents for the graduating students will be boxed and sent to Kuykendahl for storage.


End of Year Paperwork: 

  • Records room clerks will receive paperwork from all schools at the end of the year from the DC/TL checkout process. 
  • The DC/TLs will sign off that they have turned in the paperwork to their Campus Coordinators at the folder exchange.
  • Clerks will receive the student’s paperwork. It will have been alphabetized and organized by the DC/TLs when it is turned in at the folder exchange.
  • During June and July these documents will be hole punched and filed in the correct part of each student’s folder by the records room clerks.



Year End Audit: 

  • After Roll Over happens (late July or early Aug) the PEIMS clerk will print a new PEIMS report spreadsheet of student who will be continuing in SISD for the upcoming school year.
  • The records room clerks will use this list to audit the Sp Ed student folders for the most recent annual ARDs and FIEs. These are listed on the PEIMS report spreadsheet.
  • Missing documents must be noted on the spreadsheet with detailed information regarding the dates of the most recent annual ARDs and FIEs that are in the folder.  
  • After completing the audit, the PEIMS clerk will make a shorter spreadsheet of just the missing documents. This spreadsheet will be given to the District Compliance Coordinator for Sp Ed who will share it with the Diagnostician Coordinator and the SLP Coordinator.
  • The coordinators will attempt to get the missing documents from the responsible staff members and note their progress on this spreadsheet.
  • Diags/facilitators and SLPs must verify they have turned in missing document with the coordinator.
  • Clerks will file the found documents in the student’s state folders.


Checking Out a State Folder: 

  • ONLY  the coordinators, managers and the executive director are allowed to check out folders. 
  • They must put the name of the student and complete the requested information on the clipboard when removing the folders. This is found on the black file cabinet by the door when leaving the room.
  • When they return the file they must put the date of return on the clipboard and place the file on the counter to be refiled.  


Mini Audit Cycle: 

A mini audit of the state folders should take place 4 times a year. This is about every 3 months. The clerks need to check to ensure that the current FIE and ARD are in the state folder. This process helps ensure that the state folders are cleaner for any sudden TEA demands; that diags/facilitators and SLPs are turning in the documents in a timely fashion; and that the PEIMS report is accurate.  


In June and July the clerks need to file all the documents that were turned it at the end of the year by the DC/TLs and VACs.


The mini audit needs to take place in:

  • August after the PEIMS rollover.
    • The clerks need to be sure they use the list of high school CBI/SL students that will be returning even though PEIMS may show that they will be withdrawn. These folders should not be pulled off the shelf.
    • The clerks need to ensure that the folders for the kids who are out of district for AI or VI placements or are at Bayes and other Out-of-District locations are not removed from the shelves file drawers.
  • The first week in November, after the Oct count has taken place.
  • The second week of February after the Christmas transfer kids have had their 30 day ARDs.
  • The first or second week of May before the diags/facilitators and SLPs leave for the summer.
  • Finally, again in August after the PEIMS rollover to re-start the cycle.